EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR, DIRECTOR OF LEGAL AND REPRESENTATION SERVICES
THURSDAY MARCH 30, 2023
The Association of Justice Counsel (AJC) is the bargaining agent for over 3000 lawyers who work for the Government of Canada, including counsel with the Department of Justice, Public Prosecution Service of Canada, and numerous federal agencies. The AJC is currently seeking an Executive Director, Director of Legal Representation Services (“Executive Director”) who is interested in working in a dynamic, small-team setting that promotes the value and worth of federal public service lawyers and seeks to improve their working conditions.
Reporting to the Governing Council and Executive, the Executive Director provides oversight and leadership to the AJC. The ED directs overall operations in addition to providing leadership and direction for Legal activities and Representation services. The successful candidate will be supported by the outgoing Executive Director as part of a formal transition plan.
THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE
You have a degree in Public or Business Administration, or equivalent field from a recognized university. You have a law degree from a recognized university and are a recognized member in good standing of a provincial law society (Ontario, considered an asset). You have a minimum of 10 years’ combined experience in senior management, strategic planning, crisis management, and corporate governance and a minimum of 10 years of practical experience in labour law. You have experience in financial reporting, contract management, and human resources management and are fluently bilingual verbally and in writing in both official languages. You have knowledge of legislation and case authorities governing labour relations in the federal public service and experience with alternate dispute resolution, human rights, labour and employment law, health and safety, union representation and the union’s duty of fair representation. You possess knowledge of Treasury Board and other government policies, directives and processes with strong advocacy and relationship building skills. You have a demonstrated understanding of the union legal framework and commitment to union principles and have strong initiative, administration, organizational, planning and time management skills to work in a fast-paced environment with shifting priorities in addition to emotional intelligence skills. You have initiative, the ability to work well under pressure, a high sense of urgency and prioritization skills. You are client-focused and results oriented.
The Executive Director is responsible for leading the AJC office in delivering the organization’s strategic priorities and direction. In addition, the Executive Director:
- Provides direction, advice, mentoring and coaching to staff.
- Leads and manages corporate projects as required.
- Acts as a liaison between the President and the staff.
- Develops action plans and strategic plans for Executive and Governing Council approval.
- Provides oversight and leadership for in-house counsel with respect to internal governance, corporate law, labour, and employment law.
- Supports the Representation Services team by providing oversight and support with activities as required.
- Provides summary reports to the Representations Committee and members of the Executive from time to time.
- Represents the AJC at certain labour-management and/or ad-hoc committee meetings.
- Acts as liaison between the AJC, unions, and associations in the public service.
- As Corporate Secretary, ensures that all minutes, records, by-laws, and related documents are appropriately drafted, maintained, and filed.
- Provides guidance and advice to the Executive and Governing Council on statutory requirements, good governance practices, roles, responsibilities, and duties.
- Oversees the ratification vote process.
- Facilitates Governing Council decision-making process by providing what they require to make informed decisions and meet their legal duties as directors.
- Promotes a work place culture that values diversity, respect and cooperation.
- Represents the interests of the organization in a general counsel capacity.
- Advises and supports the Governing Council and various committees and working groups as required.
COMPENSATION AND OTHER BENEFITS
- COMPETITIVE SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE
- GROUP BENEFITS: Health, Dental, Life, Disability
- PENSION PLAN: CAAT
- VACATION: 4 weeks/year to start in addition to December holiday season and other paid leave
- OPPORTUNITY TO TELEWORK SUBJECT TO OPERATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
START DATE: As soon as possible.
This process is currently suspended until further notice.
Please submit your resume with a cover letter to:
Association of Justice Counsel
300-2725, Queensview Drive
Attn: Diana Rodrigues, Director of Administrative Services
The AJC embraces diversity and inclusion and encourages members from all equity-seeking groups to apply. Upon request, we will accommodate applicants with disabilities who require accommodation during the recruitment and selection process.